I promised an update this week on my backyard that I am S-L-O-W-L-Y decorating. This post should be titled, “Use Your Imagination.” I’ve spent many hours working, and it’s come a long way, but I have many hours ahead of me. When we first moved in a year ago there was nothing in the backyard except one bush, and one tree. I spent a lot of time planting last year, but didn’t add any furniture.
Here’s what I’ve done so far this year:
- Powerwashed the wood fencing.
- Sanded, primed & painted the rattan loveseat.
- Sanded, primed & painted the wrought iron table and chairs.
- Sanded and oiled the wood chairs.
- Sewed new cushion covers and pillows for the loveseat.
- Attempted to dye my umbrella cover only to discover that you cannot dye acrylic fabrics…of course not…they’re plastic. I learned the messy way.
- Bought some pretty cool flowerpots and a hanging basket from a local flea market.
- Added plants, plants and more plants.
Still to do (here’s where your imagination will help):
- If you look at the dining table you can tell there aren’t any seats. Also there is no glass on the top of the table ( I just threw a tablecloth on top). So, the dining set is completely useless right now. This is first up on my list of projects.
- Add some outdoor rugs or flooring to define the lounge space and the dining space.
- Finish plan B for the umbrella.
- Add some lighting. I really want some strings of lights, mixed with something overhead (like a lantern).
- Put some plants in my pots (i cheated…the plants in the photos were moved outside just for the photos).
- Remember my color palette is cool blues mixed with warm pinks, yellows and oranges? I am planning on adding some textiles, accessories, and plants to help.
- Figure out a way to hide the propane tank, air conditioner, and electricity meter. They are all unsightly and large. But, since I don’t own the house this might not happen.
I think I could keep adding to the list, but that’s a good start. And, even though it’s far from finished we’ve already spent lots of time already relaxing in our updated space.
I’ll share more photos when I finish my umbrella…soon!
What do you think? Any suggestions?