The shelves in the Room of the Week are beautiful even though they are packed with stuff because they follow principles of good design:
- each shelf has a focal point
- similar shapes are repeated throughout the shelves to create rhythm
- the red color is repeated throughout the shelves to tie everything together
- the objects vary in height to create interest
- each shelf is balanced asymmetrically
These design principles can be used for any type of shelf (grown-up or kid-friendly). I always love the magazine ads by Juliska, a high-end tableware company. Their ad below beautifully demonstrates these design principles in action in a different setting.
I had fun talking about one wall in this gorgeous teen bedroom this week. You really should check out the bedroom and the entire house tour on Apartment Therapy to see how it fits in with the rest of the house. You won’t be disappointed!
See you next week.