The wall of curtains behind the bed in the Room of the Week is really amazing. Can you imagine how many yards of fabric it took to complete all those pleats? It really does make any amazing statement of color and texture and pattern that simultaneously adds excitement and softness to the bedroom, and establishes the bed as the focal point of the room.
A curtain wall is definitely expensive design element to create, so why would you use it, instead of paint or wallpaper? Here are a few of my thoughts:
- It gives you the ability to layer patterns on a wall, like in the Room of the Week.
- If you want to cover a detail that you wouldn’t be able to cover with wallpaper or paint.
- It adds softness and warmth, especially during colder months.
- If you are trying to add volume to a space to make it feel smaller.
- If you are trying to add texture to a space…more than you could get with wallpaper.
Here are a few other reasons, with pictures to explain: