Anyone who has known me for a little bit of time knows that orange is my favorite color, so I couldn’t help but pick the pair of orange chairs as the piece de resistance in the Room of the Week.
- Their feminine shape, bold color, and shiny textural fabric allow them to fit in with the room, while at the same time standing out.
- I also love the different colored wood used for the legs of the chairs. They remain a pair, but have slightly different personalities.
- The way the fabric was applied to the chair is especially effective. It was applied in different directions to highlight each different element…for example, the fabric changes directions on the lower half of the curved arms which creates a change in the sheen of the fabric and highlights the curve. Also, the fabric was applied on the back of the chairs so that the pattern is vertical instead of horizontal which highlights the high back.
- They are prim and proper but still very lounge-able.
While these chairs are mid-century modern pieces that are quite expensive, you can use these qualifications when looking for a pair of chairs for your own home.
- Pay attention to the way the fabric is applied to a chair…the more attention to detail the more expensive it will look. Does the pattern created by the fabric highlight the shape of the chair?
- Does the shape, color and texture work with your existing furnishings? But can the chairs stand as successful design elements on their own?
- Are they both aesthetically pleasing as well as functional?
I pulled together some of my favorite orange lounge chairs, and was pleasantly surprised to find so many. Even if you aren’t in the market for new chairs (especially orange ones) you can look at the chairs with my questions in mind to help you hone your own style sense.
Do you have a favorite? Or are they just a bit too much for you?