One of the best details in the Room of the Week wouldn’t even be noticeable during the daytime, but makes a huge difference at night. The small lights that illuminate the bookshelves turn add so much more than just light to the room. Without those lights the shelves(especially those in the corner) would recede, and be especially dark in the evenings. But instead, the lights highlight the beautiful objects and books that have been so carefully arranged. So, if you are looking for a simple way to elevate your bookshelves and give your personal mementos the attention they deserve…light them up!
There are so many ways to do this inexpensively and quickly. These halogen spotlights from IKEA are a perfect solution if you don’t want to actually see the lights or spend a lot of money. There are loads of sconces, lamps, LED lights, rope lights, strip lights…how do you decide which one to buy? Here are a few questions to ask before you make a purchase:
- Do I want the bookshelves to be lit from above or below?
- Do I want to flood the bookshelves with light, or just focus on particular objects?
- Do I want to light all the shelves individually, or the bookcase as a whole?
- Do I want the light to be bright enough to just the light the bookshelves or to contribute to the lighting in the entire room?
- Do the lights need to plug-in, or will I have them hard-wired?
- How will the lights work with the rest of the lighting in the room? (finishes, styles, balance)
And, here’s a few bookcase lights in action to inspire you: